ALBUM REVIEW: Adekunle Gold - "Catch Me If You Can"

Forum 2 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: Adekunle Gold - "Catch Me If You Can"

Nigerian singer-songwriter, Adekunle Gold drops a brand new album tagged "Catch Me If You Can".

There’s something telling about Nigerian singer-songwriter Adekunle Gold when he refers to his fourth album as the fourth level of a video game: He sees it as absorbing and all-consuming as video games are to their players, and he wants it to be enjoyed. “I think of my whole discography as an adventure game,” he tells Apple Music. “It gets really interesting at every level.” 

Catch Me If You Can is a sensual slow burn of a record, steeped heavily in Afrobeats, with a nod to amapiano. He treats his subject matter with both irreverence and earnestness. “My limitations are done, and I am living even through my music,” he explains. “I want everyone who listens to this album, fan or not, to understand my story, embrace their own and be fearlessly committed to living life with no regrets.” Here, AG Baby talks us through each track.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/34ef0882c2cfb8434f5926dde792da47.png

Featuring Malian actress and songwriter, Fatoumata Diawara, Adekunle drops a melodic song tagged Born Again. According to Adekunle Gold, the original title of the song was ‘Welcome To My Life, You’re Not Too Late’. This song is the energetic intro that introduces the album.

This song is Adekunle Gold's way to give a shout-out to his mom, friends who held him down for years, and to his fans. It is also a shout-out to everyone who stood firm and refused to give up.

The title is in Yoruba. It means ‘don’t tempt me’. It is a deep melodic tune with groovy instrumentals and powerful lyrics. It's one record that I love on this project.

One Woman is one song you should check out. It celebrates women. AG Baby came through with addictive melodies and relatable lyrics. The song features Ty Dolla $ign.

This is my absolute jam. According to AG Baby, he was just thinking about how you can be in bed with people who don’t even like you, and you don’t even know. People that you think are for you are sometimes not for you at all. The first line that came to me was ‘Open my eyes/Show me who dey for me.’ This is one of my favourites songs on this project.

This is a holiday song. It is an up-tempo tune good enough to spice up your bae-cation.

Here is another single on this project. Adekunle Gold and Lucky Daye teamed up to give us one of the top bangers of 2021. This record is one of my favorites as expected.

According to Adekunle Gold, this is the last song he wrote in London, with Stefflon Don. He was in the studio with Rymez and Lekaa, and they were just vibing when this song was cooked up.

I really think this song should be on people’s sex playlist. It's a mid-tempo dark melody with some erotic emotions in it.

Here is another banging record on this album. Pheelz produced it and Adekunle Gold and Davido did justice to the amapiano-infused afro-fusion tune.

Slow-paced thick melody Dior Dior Dior by Adekunle Gold features American songstress Fousheé.

This song means a lot to me. The lyrics is so realistic as Adekunle Gold talked about preserving his peace and focusing on what benefits him and his family. The record is another banging tune to check out.

This song is about Geminis. I’m not that into horoscopes, but I hear a lot about how crazy Geminis are. But the plot twist is that my daughter is a Gemini, and I hope she forgives me when she grows up.

This song almost tells the entire story of the album.

RATING

Lyrics - 4/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 3/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3.5/5

• DOWNLOAD >> Adekunle Gold - "Catch Me If You Can"Album

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central
Forum | 6 days ago

Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central

Comparing My Music to Adekunle Gold’s ‘Somewhat Shallow’ – Simi
Forum | 1 week ago

Comparing My Music to Adekunle Gold’s ‘Somewhat Shallow’ – Simi

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage
Forum | 1 week ago

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage

‘I’ve never experienced heartbreak, we must marry before I catch feelings” – Lizzy Gold says
Forum | 2 weeks ago

‘I’ve never experienced heartbreak, we must marry before I catch feelings” – Lizzy Gold says