ALBUM REVIEW: The Cavemen - "Love and Highlife"

Forum 2 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: The Cavemen - "Love and Highlife"

Nigerian music group, The Cavemen, a sibling duo of bassist and drummer, returns with their sophomore album, "Love & Highlife".

The 18-tracks project with a bonus track is a rich expression of African culture, community, and humanity. The Cavemen’s rendition on this project mines nostalgia while updating it with luxuriant modernity.

The album is supported by two singles 'Selense' and 'Udo'. It features Cobhams Asuquo, PC Lapez, Made Kuti, Etuk Ubong, and a voice-over from their mother.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/94c622d7411a1862ac956c3a1bbe4bce.png

• The album starts with one of my favourites. Teach Me How To Love is a beautiful record.

• New Pammy is a banging, danceable melody from The Cavemen. It is pure highlife with that palm wine groove.

• In Biri, The Cavemen fuses afrobeats with highlife. The linked up with Fela Kuti's on, Made Kuti on this one.

• Kpokom is a naughty tune. It features Utuk Ubong. The groove and crazy melodies on this record are unheard of.

• Looking for a beautiful love song performed with Highlife? here is one I'll highly recommend. The one is the one (Pun intended).

• And here is one of my favourites songs on this album. The Cavemen try to plead with their mysterious women not to be a stranger.

• If not this, then I wonder what record will make you appreciate highlife even more in this century. Selense is that groovy, danceable record.

• Tapping from the story in the bible, The Cavemen creates Brother's Keeper.

• Ihunanya (The Love Song) should be added o all marriage playlists this festive period. It is not groovy, it's magical.

• Nkari (Gift) is spiritual. The Cavemen's vocals are soothing and could be addictive.

• Having issues? Then check out Love and Trials. The instrumental alone could cheer you up. The lyrics and melody are something I can't explain. So soothing!

• Azana featuring PC Lapez translates to 'Don't answer. The song is simply saying do not answer them when they are tempting you. What a beautiful record.

• Ugo solo performed by The Cavemen is a mind-blowing record. So so groovy with a spiritual message.

• Legendary Nigerian music producer and performing artist, Cobhams Asuquo teams up with The Cavemen for Were Kwushin.

• Here is the second single off this album. Udo which translates to 'peace' is soul-soothing.

• What was supposed to be a dancehall record but tweaked to be a highlife record is here. This one is titled Dance like Cavy.

• Alright with Mama is a voice-over from their mum. She prays and leaves them with a message for the world.

• Here is the bonus track and the last song on this album. Good People is a song that stresses the fact that good people are scarce and should be kept when found.

RATING

Lyrics - 4/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 4/5

AVERAGE RATING - 4/5

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish
Forum | 2 days ago

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish

Zinoleesky Shades Haters, Announces New Album Release Date on IG Live
Forum | 3 days ago

Zinoleesky Shades Haters, Announces New Album Release Date on IG Live

Fans Overjoyed As Ayra Starr Hints At New Album Release
Forum | 3 days ago

Fans Overjoyed As Ayra Starr Hints At New Album Release

Challengers Final Trailer Shows Zendaya’s Love Triangle in Romantic Sports Movie
Forum | 4 days ago

Challengers Final Trailer Shows Zendaya’s Love Triangle in Romantic Sports Movie