ALBUM REVIEW: Victoria Kimani - "Spirit Animal"

Forum 2 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: Victoria Kimani - "Spirit Animal"

Victoria Kimani drops a banging project "Spirit Animal". Kenyan singer, songwriter, actress, and entertainer Victoria Kimani returns with her sophomore album following the release of her debut album Safari in 2016.

Victoria Kimani who was once signed to Chocolate city teams up with a bunch of other talented musicians for this powerful body of work. The project featured artists like KiDi, Bella Shmurda, Peruzzi, Yemi Alade, Bella Alubo, Priddy Ugly, Lady Du, BitterSoul, and others.

One year after the release of Afreaka, her experimental joint album with FKi 1st, Victoria Kimani returns to her Afropop origins. For her fourth release, she pulls from a strong cross-continental cast to create a body of work inspired by the thrills of enjoying life in the moment. Album opener “Born Stunna” wastes no time declaring Kimani a titanic presence before its follow-up finds her pining for a romance (“Long Distance”). She playfully duets with Afropop queen Yemi Alade on “Spider,” while “Lie to Me” and “Snakes” are candid examinations of betrayal. Across the album, the Kenyan singer comes to terms with her varied musical capabilities, favoring instrumentations inspired by Afrobeats, amapiano, dancehall, and R&B, with an eclectic guest list that includes Nigerian street poet Bella Shmurda and South African innovator Lady Du.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/9c1321e4a92b990d6149704beca80ad3.png

• The first track Born Stunna is a banging dancehall tune. It is a solo-performed record that exposes Victoria Kimani's alluring vocals.

• In Long Distance, Ghanaian singer, KiDi joins Victoria Kimani. The melody is danceable and groovy.

• Bella Shmurda and Victoria Kimani jump on the next one. The tune is sensual and soothing. This one is called Gimme Money.

• Most Wanted is one of the few songs I love on this project. It is slow-paced, groovy and emotional.

• Fire Dancer a firetune on the Spirit Animal album by Victoria Kimani is a dope record.

• Remedy is fabulous. The instrumental is addictive.

• Here is another solid jam on this project. The melody and vocals all compliment each other. Victoria Kimani's vocals surely marry effortlessly with that of Peruzzi in I Called.

• In Spider Victoria Kimani and Yemi Alade link up to create a potential hit track. The title already suggests it's something groovy and hundred percent African.

• With a touch of afro-house amapiano melody, Victoria drops one of my favourites on this project. This record is titled Pole Pole.

• Looking for a sensual melody for relaxation. A tube with the beach vibe? Here is one I highly recommend. Ooh by Victoria Kimani is solid!

• Bella Alubo teams up with Victoria Kimani to give fans a spiritual tune Who You Know. The melodies and lyrics remind us why Victoria Kimani is our favourite in the first place.

• H_art the Band and Victoria Kimani made magic on this one. The adorable record-tagged Champion Lover is fire!

• Priddy Ugly and Victoria Kimani combination must be a cheat. I literally played this record over and over trying to find what to dislike about it but couldn't find any. Diamonds is classy!

• Here is another solid jam on this project. Victoria Kimani gave us another potential classic jam on this R&B sound Lie To Me. The melody and vocals all compliment each other.

• Snakes is hard! It's a mid-tempo jam. It's a beautiful piece. The song is groovy, melodiuos and spiritual.

• Roses by Victoria Kimai featuring Lady Du and Bittersoul is an amapiano dancehall record.

RATING

Lyrics - 2/5

Production - 3/5

Performance - 2/5

AVERAGE RATING - 2.5/5

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Meerkat Manor: Animal Planet Series to Become Animated Movie From Warner Bros.
Forum | 1 week ago

Meerkat Manor: Animal Planet Series to Become Animated Movie From Warner Bros.

Four Suspects Arrested For Cattle Rustling, Animal Abuse In Adamawa
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Four Suspects Arrested For Cattle Rustling, Animal Abuse In Adamawa

How I Delayed My Debut Album Because of Tems – Tyla
Forum | 4 weeks ago

How I Delayed My Debut Album Because of Tems – Tyla

Abuja Pastor Wielding AK-47 Inside Church Seeks Judicial Review Of His Trial
Forum | 1 month ago

Abuja Pastor Wielding AK-47 Inside Church Seeks Judicial Review Of His Trial