ALBUM REVIEW: Juls - "Sounds Of My World"

Forum 2 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: Juls - "Sounds Of My World"

Juls drops a banging project "Sounds Of My World". Julian Nicco-Annan, better known by his stage name Juls, is a British-Ghanaian record producer, disc jockey, and musician.

He is considered one of the pioneering producers of African music in the diaspora, particularly in Afrobeats circles. The project featured artists like Wizkid, Agent Sasco, JAEL, Jaz Karis, George the Poet, Haile, Niniola, King Promise, Fireboy DML, Bas, Mannywellz, Knucks, Joey B, Darkovibes, Kadiata, Prettyboy D-O, Supect OTB, Sauti Sol, Mayra Andrade, A2, Oxlade, Kojo Funds, Projexx, and Tay Iwar.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2478a17473e0118b8d79d59c8b17e63d.png

“I would say music is a fruit of life,” Juls tells Apple Music. “There are many fruits of life that we learn to take in and help us, in one way or another, to either get by or stay in a good place. Music is definitely one.” On his debut album Sounds of My World, the UK-based Ghanaian producer, DJ and multi-instrumentalist recruits a fresh, colourful batch of rising artists and trusted collaborators (including Wizkid, Sauti Sol, Jaz Karis, Fireboy DML, and Niniola). “After [2019 mixtape] Colour, I started making new beats as soon as it was done,” he says. “I had a studio built from scratch. And that’s my world, where I discover new sounds. This is an expression of all my mind is going through.” The album forms a dazzling love letter to traditional sounds from Africa—from Ghanaian highlife to South African amapiano via silky-smooth Afrobeat—all filtered through innovative global lenses. “I always want it to be different to the next and the next and the next,” he says of his thirst for bold experimentation. “I don't want any particular sound, because then I’ll feel like I've already done it before.” Here, Juls takes us through his kaleidoscopic album, track by track.

RATING

Lyrics - 3/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 4/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3.5/5

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Ab*rtion Is Better Than Bringing A Child Into The World That You Cannot Take Care Of - Etinosa
Forum | 5 days ago

Ab*rtion Is Better Than Bringing A Child Into The World That You Cannot Take Care Of - Etinosa

Nigeria Has Become Laughing Stock Across the World – T Y Danjuma
Forum | 5 days ago

Nigeria Has Become Laughing Stock Across the World – T Y Danjuma

The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’
Forum | 1 week ago

The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers
Forum | 1 week ago

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers