Is Wizkid Truly The King Of Afropop? Here's What We Think

Forum 2 years ago

Is Wizkid Truly The King Of Afropop? Here's What We Think

Nigerian superstar Wizkid was crowned the "King of Afropop" by the American international monthly men's magazine, GQ on 15th September 2021.

This came weeks after his record Essence was declared the global song of the summer by so many influencers and media firms. Wizkid in 2020 teamed up with fast-rising female Nigerian singer, songwriter, and music producer, Tems to create what he called 'magic' via a tweet. The record was featured on his fourth studio album, Made In Lagos, an album that is currently being teased to be nominated for album of the year at the Grammys.

Speaking with EDWIN STATS HOUGHTON of GQ Magazine, Wizkid talked about his life and career so far. He mentioned family and his plans to work on a new album. “I am working on a new album, but I never like to be, like, in a rush,” says Wizkid coolly. “Sometimes it takes me a year, two years, to make an album. I always record in terms of albums, not just songs. I like to make music that way because it gives you a sense of direction.”

Pressed on what that direction might be, he simply states, “Well, in the next album, I'm just trying to enjoy myself with the music now, because of the reception from the fans for my last album. I just keep evolving with the sound.”

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/9398824eb70b5a59de24bfeda8f128c8.png

Just after Wizkid got this crown, many people have been out with different opinions as to whether Wizkid deserved this title as the "King of Afropop".

Well here is what we think...

Wizkid is one of those stars who has constantly pushed to have African and its popular sounds on the map since the inception of his career. The debut single Holla At Your Boy is in all ramifications a song worthy of the global mainstream. He started from the onset to have a clear picture of what he wanted as an artist and the impact he has had so far has been massive. He has won so many awards, contributed to the culture by constantly dropping hit and evergreen songs.

However, he is not the only African artist doing so. Burna Boy, Davido, 2Baba, D Banj, etc have all contributed to the growth of African sound. To crown only Wizkid the king seems to be partial in my opinion. Even though I am a Wizkid fan, I still believe just as there are a few records Wizkid ahead of his peers, there are a few that he is yet to break that his peers have as well.

What do you think? Please react below.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Davido Reveals He No Longer Communicates With Wizkid and Burna Boy
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Reveals He No Longer Communicates With Wizkid and Burna Boy

The Running Man: Edgar Wright Directing Stephen King Adaptation Starring Glen Powell
Forum | 1 week ago

The Running Man: Edgar Wright Directing Stephen King Adaptation Starring Glen Powell

Were You Truly Committed To Taking Nigeria To The Next Level?- Tonto Dikeh Slams Peter Obi Over The Quality Of Boreholes He Drilled In Some Northern Communities
Forum | 1 week ago

Were You Truly Committed To Taking Nigeria To The Next Level?- Tonto Dikeh Slams Peter Obi Over The Quality Of Boreholes He Drilled In Some Northern Communities

Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed
Forum | 1 week ago

Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed