Why Nigerian Hip Hop Is Not Buzzing - Editorial

Forum 3 years ago

Why Nigerian Hip Hop Is Not Buzzing - Editorial

The Nigerian hip-hop industry is on the decline as many will agree with me. The likes of MI Abaga, Vector, Ladipoe, Bloaqbonez, etc are not receiving the attention rap game got when King Kong became a popular song in this country.

The fact hip hop hasn't been as lucrative as Afrobeat and other genres of music in Nigeria has forced so many rappers into other genres. Inidgenous rappers like Phyno and Olamide has only been able to sell their afrobeat, lamba, amapiano and dance hall more than they have sold their Hip Hop.

This has also affected so many up and coming artistes making them question their careers as rappers. After receiving so many messages from fans and concerned music lovers as to why Hip Hop isn't selling as it used to in Nigeria, here are few reasons why we have low income from Hip Hop as compared to other genres.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/6bb12db99f53ff366d759f670adb0552.png

No Beef

If you paid attention to the MI Abaga and Vector beef you'll agree with me that it gave Hip Hop an opportunity to control the media. The beef was on top trends on twitter for days. Even when Blaqbonez claimed he is the best rapper in Africa and his beef with Kaligraph Jones gave Hip Hop another boost in Nigeria. Hip Hop music genre as we know it is built on beef, quarrels and disgreements. Infact rappers came up with the 'I'm the best' phrase where they claim they are better than everyone in the country. Rappers came up with the 'Putting my city in the map' phrase where they brag about making their city popular which will end up creating beef between them. Beef has always been what fuels a healthy hip hop industry so for Nigerian hip hop industry to thrive , there has to be a strategic beef between renown rappers.

No New Hip Hop Sound

American rappers are still relevant, cashing out as they keep on evolving and introducing new hip hop sounds. Nigerian rappers either wait to copy or keep doing the old sounds that the audience are already tired of hearing. The hip hop industry is in need of something new, something spectacular that will blow the mind of the audience.

If these two points could be addressed, the Nigerian hip hop industry will find its way back to the top.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa
Forum | 1 day ago

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa

In Some Part Of Lagos, Friends Now Exchange Their Wives During Weekends - Nigerian Activist Claims
Forum | 1 day ago

In Some Part Of Lagos, Friends Now Exchange Their Wives During Weekends - Nigerian Activist Claims

List Of Nigerian Celebrities Prosecuted For Naira Mutilation
Forum | 2 days ago

List Of Nigerian Celebrities Prosecuted For Naira Mutilation

Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music