The disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was a unit under the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) of the Nigerian Police Force. The unit founded in 1992 was launched to perform undercover operations against crimes related to arm robbery, kidnapping, and other crimes associated with firearms. They were designed to wear facemask police uniforms or mufti in order to infiltrate the communities and not be identified as police officers. This idea was to help them curb crimes but that was not the case.
For years, SARS was accused of several human rights violations, extortions, harassments, illegal arrests and detentions, extrajudicial killings, sexual assaults, and brutalizing young Nigerians. Many Nigerians claimed to have been victims of these inhumane activities of SARS.
The first phase of the recent street protests against police brutality happened sometime in 2017. Celebrities and other Nigerian youths stepped out in the streets to spread awareness against police brutality, extrajudicial killings, rape, illegal arrests, and detentions amongst other wicked acts of theirs. The movement was equally reported and tracked with the social media hashtag #ENDSARS.
After the video clip of a young Nigerian who was being shot at in front of Wetland Hotel, Ughelu, Delta State, started trending online, Nigerians revisited the #ENDSARS hashtag. The hashtag claimed the ladder and started trending once again on Twitter.
Two days later, on Monday 5 October 2020, a SARS officer was reported to have murdered a 20-year-old up-and-coming musician named Daniel Chibuike also known as Sleek just around his neighbourhood. Reports say Sleek was labeled a thief and gunned down to death all because he refused to be harassed and extorted by the corrupt SARS officers. This caused an uproar on social media as the hashtag gained another momentum on social media.
Nation-wide protests kicked off on Thursday 8 October 2020. This movement was amplified by Wizkid's tweet where he called President Mohammadu Buhari an 'Old Man'. The singer was dragged by a few but widely supported. Falz and Runtown led the first major protest. They were supported by Don Jazzy, Olu Jacobs, MC Macaroni, Small Doctor, and other Nigerian celebrities in movies and the music industry.
Wizkid, Davido, and Burna Boy further amplified the protests with their social media handles. The world media covered and monitored these protests as it lasted for twelve days and counting.
So many people were still murdered by Nigerian forces even when the youths are protesting against police brutality and extra-judicial killings. On October 20, 2020, the government allegedly sent in soldiers to the Lekki Toll Gate to take out the lives of patriotic Nigerians who were holding the Nigerian flag and singing the Nigerian National anthem. The massacre happened despite the fact these youths were praying for a better police force while singing the anthem and with the flags.
With the recent curfew placed in almost all the cities in the country, a lot of us are discouraged and less motivated to keep the protest going until our demands are granted. This is the idea behind this write-up. Only music can motivate us enough. Here is a list of thirty (30) songs for your #ENDSARS playlist to keep you motivated.
30. Laycon - Fvck You (End Sars) >> DOWNLOAD MP3
29. Asa - Jailer >> DOWNLOAD MP3
28. Oladips - END SARS >> DOWNLOAD MP3
27. Rudeboy - Oga Police >> DOWNLOAD MP3
26. Zinoleesky - End Sars >> DOWNLOAD MP3
25. Falz - Talk >> DOWNLOAD MP3
24. Timaya - Dem Mama >> DOWNLOAD MP3
23. Wizkid - Ojuelegba >> DOWNLOAD MP3
22. Eedris Abdulkareem - Jaaga Jaaga >> DOWNLOAD MP3
21. Dice Ailes - No One >> DOWNLOAD MP3
20. 2Baba - Babylon feat. MI >> DOWNLOAD MP3
19. Tekno - Rara >> DOWNLOAD MP3
18. Patoranking - Heal The World >> DOWNLOAD MP3
17. Vector - Sars Is Around >> DOWNLOAD MP3
16. Phyno - Get The Info feat. Phenom & Falz >> DOWNLOAD MP3
15. Dotman - Naija >> DOWNLOAD MP3
14. Zoro - End Sars >> DOWNLOAD MP3
13. Skales - Tell Us >> DOWNLOAD MP3
12. Maleek Berry - The Matter feat. Wizkid >> DOWNLOAD MP3
11. Erigga - Victims feat. Funkleff >> DOWNLOAD MP3
10. Psquare - Oga Police >> DOWNLOAD MP3
9. Dremo - Thieves in Uniform >> DOWNLOAD MP3
8. Zlatan - Soro Soke (End Sars) >> DOWNLOAD MP3
7. Small Doctor - Soro Soke >> DOWNLOAD MP3
6. Burna Boy - Monsters You Made >> DOWNLOAD MP3
5. Davido - FEM >> DOWNLOAD MP3
4. Ajebo Hustlers - Barawo >> DOWNLOAD MP3
3. African China - Mr President >> DOWNLOAD MP3
2. Falz - This is Nigeria >> DOWNLOAD MP3
1. Burna Boy - Lekki Massacre >> DOWNLOAD MP3
What do you think? Please drop comments below