Simi Employs Her Kind in "Restless" EP - Review

Forum 3 years ago

Simi Employs Her Kind in "Restless" EP - Review

Afro-Soul and R&B singer, Simi drops a new mixtape tagged "Restless II" EP. Simi links up with Ms Banks, Wurld and Adekunle Gold in this new body of work.

Simisola Kosoko mostly known as Simi is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who dished out the first version of "Restless" in 2014. The 5-track EP was a body of work embodied with so many cover songs. "Restless" featured covers of Rihanna, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, One Republic, and Adele songs. Simi effortlessly transformed these songs into something extraordinary. The songs include 'Beyonce's 'Halo', Adele's 'Set Fire To The Rain', Bruno Mars' 'Grenade', OneRepublic's 'Apologize', and Rihanna's 'Man Down'.

This project was well-received by Nigerian music lovers. Simi showed us her lyrical prowess and ability to recreate a banging track into something African. She later teamed up with her best friend Falz on a joint extended play tagged "Chemistry" EP in 2016 just before releasing her second studio album "Simisola" in 2017. So far, Simi has four studio projects 'Ogaju' (2008), 'Simisola' (2017), 'Omo Charlie Champagne Vol. 1' (2019), and the recent one 'Restless II' (2020).

"Restless EP" is a soul-soothing body of work of 5-tracks featuring Adekunle Gold, Wurld, and Ms Banks. The A/R in this project is top-notch. Simi only worked with afro-fusion acts whose love for R&B and alternative music is unmatched not forgetting her romantic collaboration with her husband.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/0773867813cf42b233f8dec0f7cb6b5c.jpg

• "No Longer Beneficial" got Simi pleading with her friend to do away with the feelings he's developing for her and stick to being her friend with benefit. It's a slow-paced magnificent tune with enjoyable melodies. The lyrics were superb.

• After the magic they created on 'Restless (2014), Simi links up with her producer friend, Oscar to create this mid-tempo afro-fusion track "There For You" featuring Ms Banks.

• In"City Lights", we could see Simi blending her sexual vocals in a trap sound produced by Sess. Simi definitely knows how to distract us from the fact she is experimenting on new vibes with her effortless delivery on this one.

• Finally, a Simi and Wurld collaboration is upon us. Sess handles the instrumentation given Simi and Wurld something eccentric to hop on and get us all tipsy. "Triggered" is definitely one of my best tracks on this extended play.

• "Undeserving" is a beautiful tune crafted by Oscar. Simi takes up a bit back to the R&B and alternative act she's known for. Simi is heard singing '...you don't deserve my love anymore...' in this solo-performed masterpiece.

• Trust and loyalty is always unsure of any relationship. Celebrity couples, Simi and Adekunle gave us a Jayz-Beyonce 'Drunk In Love' vibe in "Bites The Dust".

RATING

Lyrics - 4/5

Production - 4/5

Performance -5/5

AVERAGE RATING - 4/5

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage
Forum | 6 days ago

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage

Kinds of Kindness Teaser Trailer Highlights Yorgos Lanthimos Next Movie
Forum | 1 week ago

Kinds of Kindness Teaser Trailer Highlights Yorgos Lanthimos Next Movie

Only Murders in the Building Season 4 Cast: Richard Kind & More Join Hulu Comedy
Forum | 1 week ago

Only Murders in the Building Season 4 Cast: Richard Kind & More Join Hulu Comedy

“If you’re praying for a husband, pray for a kind man” — Shade Ladipo tells women
Forum | 2 weeks ago

“If you’re praying for a husband, pray for a kind man” — Shade Ladipo tells women