Patoranking is Nigeria's 'King of Reggae' - Three Album Review

Forum 3 years ago

Patoranking is Nigeria's 'King of Reggae' - Three Album Review

Only a talented singer can fuse two or three genres of music in one sound. "Three" album by Patoranking is a proof that Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie is Nigeria's 'King of Reggae'.

The Nigerian music industry has been flooded with numerous songs in the month of August with over six mainstream artists dishing out albums. The congestion of songs on streaming platforms makes it difficult for up and coming artists to rank. It totally denies them the opportunity to be discovered. Even so, it also tightens up the competition as songs from mainstream artist's struggle to make it to the charts when they fail to retain users.

Patoranking with "Three" album has been able to marry two or three genres of sounds not just in an album but in the individual songs to ensure he carries a wider audience along. Though reggae remains the baseline genre in the album, guest appearances from Flavour, Sauti Sol, Tiwa Savage and King Promise makes this body of work to stand out. Highlife, afro-fusion, dancehall and alternative amongst others could be heard intertwined in a reggae tune in this album.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/061d6778a0a9aec3c3f13856d6fc4124.jpg

Patoranking ensured he retains his reggae and dancehall or afrogospel fans while attempting to tap into other markets. "Three" album simply crowned Patoranking the King of Nigerian reggae.

• "Mon Bebe" by Patoranking features highlife star, Flavour hence the pure and classic chords embedded in this track by Telz. 'Mon Bebe' is a slow paced jam that encapsulates highlife and reggae in a perfect manner.

• Patoranking and CT Beats cooks up a banging tune. "Yo Body" is not a familiar reggae vibe. Patoranking served us something extraordinary to quench our taste for a soothing reggae sound.

• Getting a groovy sound arounding Patoranking is as easy as finding a gold at the American river in Carlifonia. "Whine It" featuring Sauti Sol is one of those tracks you will end up vibing to on first listening.

• In "Nobody" , Patoranking lays down his vocal on a South African inspired lamba. It's something similar to plenty songs including Kiddominat's "E-Wallet" featuring Cassper Nyovest.

• DJ Coublon does his magic in this instrumental. "Black Girl Magic" is Patoranking's effort to render a Michael Jackson-like "Brown Skin Girl".

• The only single off Patoranking's third studio album "Three" is "Abule". Patoranking tells a story of how he found a lovely woman in 'Abule', a small neigbourhood in Lagos.

• After the magic they did in 'Girl O remix' in 2014, Tiwa Savage and Patoranking collaborates again in "Matter". The unique sound is liltingly sweet.

• Is there anything like a hardcore reggae sound with beeping groove? If there is, then "Brr" should be in that category. It's a pure reggae vibe.

• "Do Me" is another powerful track produced by Telz. Patoranking takes us away from the noise with this slow paced song. "Do Me" is an emotional sound with simple yet sophiscatedly pleasing instrumental.

• Finally we have a Patoranking and King Promise collaboration in "Odo Bra". The Ghanaian vibe will get you nodding just before you realize you are already feeling it. I literally forgot I had played this song over ten times before getting the right words to explain how I felt. I had a sexual feeling towards this jam. It's spiritual!

• "Not going back to my former life, I told my mama I must get it right, she said my son don't give up the fight. From the ghetto to the paradise" Patoranking says as he tells us the ugly experiences he had while growing up in "Lion In The Jungle". Every hustler will relate perfectly with this typical reggae track from Nigeria's King of reggae, Patoranking.

• After giving us eleven amazing songs in his third studio album, Patoranking stands against racism and tribalism in "Love Is The Answer".

You definitely need to listen to Patoranking's "Three" album to be able to appreciate the rare talent he has.

RATING

Lyrics - 4/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 3/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3.5/5

ALBUM REVIEWED BY DAT KULGEE

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani
Forum | 1 day ago

Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani

Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist

Nigerian Army Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Neutralize Notorious Terrorist In Taraba
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Army Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Neutralize Notorious Terrorist In Taraba