Yung6ix gives us some new sounds in “Introduction To TrapFro” Album - Review

Forum 3 years ago

Yung6ix gives us some new sounds in “Introduction To TrapFro” Album - Review

Yung6ix “Introduction To TrapFro” Album - Review

Onome Onokohwomo professionally known as Yung6ix is Nigerian hip hop artist known for eminently known for his love for trap music. The rapper dished out his debut  (6ix O'Clock) and sophomore (High Star) studio albums in 2014 and 2017 respectively.

Yung6ix has in the past dished out a couple of trap sounds with his producer friend Benjamz. Due to his love for trap music, he tried to infuse the subgenre of hip hop music, Trap  that originated in the Southern United States during the late 1990s with his African hip hop sound in his third studio album.

The Introduction to TrapFro album by Yung6ix was dished out to further sell trap sounds to Africans.

Speaking on the release Yung6ix says, “Trapfro is a new hybrid genre of music I felt I could contribute to the global music scene in 2020, it is a fusion of trap and afrobeat music. Growing up and listening to some of my favourite rapper in the west, I often wondered what kind of music they would have been making if they grew up in Africa, and I think this record might just answer that question for me.”

The 11-track album was releasedon June 5th 2020, featuring top acts like, Sinzu, Dammy Krane, CharassPeruzziEriggaPayper Corleone, Disally Dr Barz. Production credits goes to Fresh VDMGizzybeatsEkellyDisally and Benjamz 

Let’s have a rundown of the songs in the album and what they entail.

WATCH THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE

‘Intro (Wake Up) is a slow paced Trap beat on which Yung6ix renders some inspirational quotes to his peers to ‘wake up’ and hustle. He narrates he used to wake up with no money or food. This is a morning vibe to start off your day.

Decisions is a 2019 single made with a fusion of Trap and dancehall. The vibes is explicit as Yung6ix discuss conundrums as they relate to a woman. He also laid emphasis on the importance of making decisions as they play a major role on what results we get in life.

On A Daily (OAD) is one of my favourites. The jam is a melodious trap song with some beautiful strings from the guitar to put you in a calm mood. In the lyrics, Yung6ix describes the key parts of his day-to-day life from business to pleasure. This sound is exceptional!

Step 1 could be one of the songs that doesn’t really sound like a Trap because it has more Afrobeat chords like the rest. It’s one of those moments where lyrics don’t matter - just enjoy the vibes. This was produced by Disally.

Shole must be another beautiful joint on the album. Yung6ix links up with Dammy Krane and Sinzu on this one. The ‘Shake am make I spray money’ stands out as one of the catchy part of the song. 'Shole' might be two years old, but it's still fresh.

Body features talented singer Charass. The sound is something familiar, and the vibe is relatable. This is another shift away from Trap.

Inna The Benz is one of the best songs on this album. It was a single released back in 2019. Produced by E Kelly a boss for all intent and purposes. The beat is a perfect sound as it didn’t need much from Yung6ix to make a hit out of this one.

‘What If could be the best song in the album for many listeners. A collaborative efforts from Fresh VDM and Peruzzi has never sounded different. ‘What If’ is built on a revised pon pon beats foundation, hence the cynicism. 

Energized is an inspiring music that could have done better with a feature with Wizkid and Rema . It is not a regular Yung6ix vibe in all ramifications. Despite the deviation in his regular sound, Yung6ix was able to score above average in his performance on this one. It is a story of grass to grace.

You Don See Am is a perfect trap sound performed by Yung6ix, Erigga and Dr Barz. The hook is top notch as well as the verses aside from that of Erigga that had issues with the flow.

Work is a difficult trap sound. Disally was able to make it tight for Yung6ix to make us appreciate the beautiful talent the rapper has. The flow is powerful. This is hard!

RATING

Production – 3/5

Performance – 3/5

Lyrics – 545

AVERAGE RATING – 3/5

REVIEWED BY DAT KULGEE

Have you Purchased the Album yet? Use the link if not. Tell us your best track off the album, and What would be the future of Trapfro?

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip
Forum | 1 day ago

Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip

Russell Crowe Exorcism Movie The Georgetown Project Gets New Title, Distributor
Forum | 1 day ago

Russell Crowe Exorcism Movie The Georgetown Project Gets New Title, Distributor

New Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Shows More of Hugh Jackman’s MCU Debut
Forum | 2 days ago

New Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Shows More of Hugh Jackman’s MCU Debut